When my husband came home to tell me he had been asked to apply for a job in Perth, Western Australia it was totally out of the blue. It was such a fantastic opportunity and he couldn't turn it down. My husband was actually brought up as a kid in Perth so he knew the area well. I had visited Australia a few times but never to Perth.
People thought we were mad moving somewhere that I had never even visited but I thought that it couldn't be that bad and would be a good life changing experience.
The main concern that I had was that I would really miss my Dad, friends and family - especially my best friend who was going through a very tough time in her life.
So my husband got offered the job and applied for the visa. It was only when it came through within 2 and a half weeks that we realised it was really happening. We thought it would take at least 3 months! We had a holiday in July and a week after getting back to the UK my husband was on a plane - Virgin Atlantic to Sydney where the head office of his company was.
Two months later I joined him - after much stress of packing up the house and filling a crate with all of our worldly goods. I moved out a couple of weeks beforehand and lived with my best friend until it was time to leave...
There were many tears at the airport as my wonderful friends waved me off - I continued to cry until I was on the plane. However, I was very excited to see my husband who I hadn't seen in almost 7 weeks and to top it all it was our 5th Anniversary the day I arrived.
He met me off the plane 21 hours later and our new life in Western Australia began.
I'm hoping to blog the experiences that we have during our time here - the differences in Australia from the UK and the things I miss about the UK (and maybe the things I don't) and all of our adventures.
No comments:
Post a Comment